Monday 17 June 2013

Wedding Gift Ideas

A close male friend of mine is getting married at the end of the month, and usually in Punjabi weddings the guests would gift the couple money at various stages of the event, as a form of blessing. Gifts are optional and usually only given by close friends and family - a lot of the time it's just a lot more cash.

However, although my friend and his bride are of Indian descent neither are Punjabi, so I'm not too sure on the traditions I'm too expect on the day. I'll probably keep enough cash on me to cover any such blessing but I thought it would be great if I could get a gift for them.. But somehow, I've never had to do this before. The first English wedding I went to, the couple requested money instead of gifts for them to buy their honeymoon - great idea I think. 

Any ideas? Leave comments!

Here's what I've come up with, varying gifts of varying monetary value and size, and maybe I can use a combination:

Engraved champagne flutes 

- but the bride doesn't drink


Personalised mugs 


- I got a Punjabi friend a set of generic mr n mrs mugs in addition to the blessing money - almost as a joke, but she liked them! so I could go a step further and get some personalised mugs


His and her dressing gowns, slippers and towels


 - nice and tacky








Couples Spa Day/Weekend 

- self explanatory


Tableware 


- but they're living with his parents until they can afford to move out so this might just be a hassle


Print/Canvas of the couple


 - I'm not sure if this is just a bit lame - they'll have lots of prints they'll want to put up from their wedding I'm sure and if their pre-wedding shoot is anything to go buy, nothing will compare


Painting of the couple 


- As above, I've not painted human faces for a while so this could all be a waste of effort



Here's a selection of other things that could be popped in:










Let me know what you think below - time is running out!




1 comment:

  1. I went with cash!!!! I wanted to get pairs of personalised gowns, towels and slippers but they're so pricey that I might have preferred to be given cash myself! And I needed to wait 10 working days which was cutting it too close!

    ReplyDelete