Sunday 11 August 2013

Body scrub review - Soap and Glory: Sugar Crush Body Scrub

It's Sunday, which for a lot of us is pamper day, getting our bodies prepped and primed for the week ahead. 

It's been a while since I used a body scrub but I have quite a few on stand by so it's time I got to using them, and while I'm at it, reviewing them too!

Usually I exfoliate in the shower - quite easily done just by wearing an exfoliating mitt or 2 when when applying shower gel or soap. But my usual soap of choice, your usual Dove cream soap was all gone and I didn't feel my Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake shower gel was going to cut it, so I rummaged through my box of stand by goodies and this is what I found!

Soap & Glory™ Sugar Crush™ Body Scrub 
available from Boots - currently £8/800 points if your Advantage Card Rich like I am, but also available as part of a 3 for 2 multi-buy offer.

It's a described by Boots as a
"Smashed Brown Sugar Body Scrub with a fruity lime fragrance that blends sweet lime oil and almond oil with macadamia grains and glycerin from smashed brown sugar."
I was prompted to buy this by hearing rave reviews on YouTube (plus it was "Voted Best Body Scrub by Essentials Best Beauty Buys 2011according to Boots. 

On opening the tub, it smells SO sweet. Like lemon sherbet (or lemongrass) and to be honest too much of that can be overpowering if it's not your cup of tea - I'm not sure it's mine. But then there's this undertone of.. cookies I think? The brown sugar just makes it worth it. It's a great summer scent but I can't see it working for me through winter.

You can use most body scrubs in a few ways: you can either put it on dry skin before you go in the shower/bath (most of the time you'll need a towel on the floor as you won't want to be stepping out of the shower onto scrub all over he floor); you can use it after you've thoroughly dampened your skin and before soaping up; or, like essiebutton, as the last step of the shower routine.

Today, for my first trial, I tried it on damp skin in the shower. The consistency was a lot softer than I expected - I've been using a harsh sugar scrub from Tesco which I'll review too in due course - a lot less coarse. It felt like an oatmeal scrub rather than sugar, and I don't think there's any oatmeal in there. It must have been the macadamia nuts. Of course you can feel the sugar granules but there's so few that they fizzle away into nothing quite quickly. I wasn't impressed but it's still a bit of a pamper I guess. 

I'm sure it's great for those with sensitive skin but I like a bit of a real scrub.

I must say, I notice that all scrubs have similar tub style packaging and I'm not a fan - if you're using this in the shower water will inevitably get in and ruin the scrubbiness, and there's not much of that in here to start with. Particularly near the end of the tub you just end up with a runny unusable liquid. But I can appreciate that because of the texture of these products a pump might be tricky.

Also, I felt like I was using LOADS of the stuff to get something near a bit of exfoliation, so the smell was quite overbearing. Surprising because I usually like my sweet stuff. You do need to rinse off well, just to get the little black pieces of your skin. 

It was so soft I tried it on my face - naughty, I know - and it was a bit more appropriate, texture-wise, for that than the body I think. But don't let it get near your lips. I came out of the shower over an hour ago and my mouth is still sore. It smells sweet and edible but trust me, it ain't!

I will say, it did feel very hydrating, which I never expect from a scrub and can only be a good thing. It must be the almond oil. I didn't feel the need to moisturise when I got out of the shower, even though I felt I had to get my Philosophy shower gel onto an exfoliating brush and really go for it,  but then I'm lazy with that stuff anyway.

And actually, I have some marks on my legs which I need to get rid of so I had better go and moisturise.

I will review this once more, once I've tried it before getting into the shower, which will most likely be next week. So come back then!

I'm a bit worried by the way, as I have the sugar crush body wash to try too... I'm guessing with the same smell!!


No comments:

Post a Comment